From Try Harder
Â 1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?
Paperback. It’s too hard to hold hardbacks in one hand.Â Plus, they hurt if you fall asleep and drop them on your nose.
2. If I were to own a book shop I would call itâ€¦
Probably something cheesy with “nook” in the title. I am very bad at naming things.
3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) isâ€¦
“If God meant this here bulldozer to live He wouldn’t of filled its tank with diesel fuel. Now would He of?”
It’s Edward Abbey, but I’ll have to guess at the book — probably the Monkey Wrench Gang.
4. The author (alive or diseased) I would love to have lunch with would be
I’m going to assume “diseased” there is actually deceased so I’ll go with Patrick O’Brian.Â Lunch would be cheese toast and grog.
5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would beâ€¦
In the past we’ve accidentally taken a Collins Ready Reference into the woods in place of the SAS survival guide… they look very similar when one is packing in a hurry.Â The Ready Reference is a bit small but I’d want something along those general lines, for use in quelling arguments… a big quote book or the paper version of the CIA FactBook or the OED or somesuch.
6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget thatâ€¦
Read to me until I fell asleep and then automagically stopped.
7. The smell of an old book reminds me ofâ€¦
8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would beâ€¦
Hmm, I’m not sure, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be Bridget Jones.Â Maybe Han Solo in one of the more dashing Star Wars novels.
…No, wait. Han doesn’t get a lightsaber.Â A Jedi instead, then.
9. The most overestimated book of all time isâ€¦
The Da Vinci Code.Â What a lame, lame book that was.
10. I hate it when a bookâ€¦
Wraps things up in the most obvious way possible.